This article covers points to consider when implementing a banner into yoursite. The banner of your website is the first point of contact between you and your visitors.
Upon entering your site, it is the banner that would captivate your visitor’s attention. An attractive banner would rivet your visitor and intrigue him to continue browsing the pages on your website. The banner or header on your website would play an instrumental role in conveying to your visitors about the content of your site and most importantly would create a perception in their minds about your business enterprise. Hence, it is pivotal to design a compelling and professional banner that is unique, visually appealing and effectively captivates the interest of the onlooker.
- Colors – The color scheme used in your banner should be in sync with the colors used in your web design. Depending on the kind of business you run, you could incorporate bright colors to create an enticing effect for your site visitors. For a more laid back look use lighter shades that are easy on the eye. It is best to first design the web images and then come up with a color them for your website which would complement the images. Always go for colors that contrast and do not clash with your background so that the title and theme of your website are made prominent.
- Fonts – Select fonts that are in consonance with the content of your site and something that would be appreciated by your targeted audience. The fonts need to be legible so that the text on your banner can be read easily. Go for fonts such as Helvetica black, Impact and Arial that look aesthetic and professional at the same time. It is best to restrict the amount of text in a banner as this would leave you with more space to enlarge it and make it more reasonable to read.
- Images – The basic credo behind any successful header design is simplicity. The image should be able to instantly communicate to your site visitors the basic theme of your website at a glance. Again the images should be reflective of your business. Originality is very essential in creating an effective header. Hence, the images used should be unique in a sense and not taken from any other site. Depending on the theme of your website, you could use original photographs as banner images as well.
- HTML tags – H1 tags are an integral part of any website as they are used to describe the importance of each heading on your website. H1 tags are also instrumental in facilitating the indexation of your website by the search engine bots and should be incorporated in your web design. Ensure to code the text in your header in the descending order, from most relevant to least.
- Header should be close to content – This is one of the basic rules in designing your banner and can make it easier for your visitors. It is best to place your banner near your websites content so that your visitors would not have to spend an inordinate amount of time searching for the relevant information.
- Appropriate labeling – If you are using a very glitzy header for your website, always ensure to use the appropriate page labels for the content that is below it. This would prevent your visitors from getting confused and leaving your site out of frustration.
Website banners are responsible for creating the first impression in your visitor’s minds. A well designed appealing banner can speak volumes about the content of your site. Given the fact that the average user stays on a page for not more than seven seconds, your eye catching banner can instill confidence in your visitor and lure them to stay and continue browsing your sites content.